WELCOME TO WASHINGTON ELEMENTARY!
The Washington Elementary's local neighborhood, also known as Old Town North, is largely made up of historical homes whose families have a strong loyalty to our school. Washington Elementary was built in 1910. We have families with generations of children who have attended Washington. We also have low socio-economic working families as reflected by our Free and Reduced Lunch numbers: 2012-2013 - 85%.
Washington Elementary teachers encourage parents to be involved in their classrooms by reading with students and assisting in special planned learning activities. We also send monthly newsletters with classroom information. Many of our teachers send home weekly academic reports for each student. We also invite parents to attend our monthly Washington assemblies.
Washington Elementary is fortunate to have several community entities that we can call on for support. Washington makes its site available to the community for Boy Scout meetings and our playground has been a site for the YMCA T-Ball games. Our gym has been a practice site for the City League Elementary Basketball teams. We collaborate with the Lawton High School girl's basketball team as a practice site. We are also a Voting Precinct site and a community site for the Old Town North Association.
- I am a principal.
- I accept the challenge to ensure that every child receives a quality education.
- I care about our country by caring about its children.
- I believe every child should have the opportunity to acquire a solid foundation in reading, writing, mathematics, critical thinking and the values of friendship, compassion, honesty and self-esteem.
- I am committed to instructional excellence and support the aspirations of teachers to give each boy and girl a quality school experience.
- I am a teacher. I accept the challenge to be sagacious and tenacious in teaching every student, because I believe every student can learn.
- I accept the responsibility to create a learning environment conducive to optimum achievement academically, socially, and emotionally.
- I actively pursue excellence for my students and myself.
- I provide a model of decorum and respect that guides my students as well as honors them.
- I affirm superlative expectations for my students and myself.
- I cherish every student.
- I am a teacher. I change the world one student at a time.
- I am a Washington Elementary School student. I have great expectations for myself. I accept the challenge to become the best that I can be.
- Yesterday's failures are behind me. Today's successes are now before me. I will make today the very best day of all. For this day begins the rest of my life.
- I accept the responsibility for my behavior and its results. I do not have the right to interfere with the learning and well being of others.
- With my family and teachers, I will determine what I will become, for the education I receive today will make me a leader tomorrow.